Wednesday, August 01, 2018

A hot July in London

So the numbers for a month that included England failing to exit the World Cup at their earliest opportunity and weather not seen since 1976 are in. It was musically dominated for me, by my now annual, 11 days allowing the curators of the Summer Series Gigs at Somerset House to introduced me to new acts I've not seen previously - with the exception of Ezra Collective, The month also included my 100th gig at Somerset House.

And so to the numbers:

32 gigs, one on each of the 31 days of the month plus a bonus gig on the last Saturday of the month at Canary Wharf.

90 different artists performing 96 sets in 18 different venues.

The month was topped and tailed by Yur Mum performing at The Unicorn Camden Live. I also had the privilege to see some of my regular favourites including (in X factor order - so not in any particular order):

Fetherstone, Daisy Chute, Cerian, LUCIA and The Adelaides

I also had a chance to enjoy performances from some old favourites I'd not seen in a while:

Tusks and Saint Clair

The best discovery of the month, by a clear measure, was HAWXX - hard to believe it was only their second gig together - a slick performance with great energy and stage presence. Definitely one to watch, with a great future ahead of them - I expect to see them performing at venues as big as Somerset House this time next year!

Two other notable new acts for me - KOLARS and Smoke Season - the KOLARS first entertained me supporting LP at Somerset House, then Smoke Season supported KOLARS at their own headline gig a week later at The Islington 1 Tolpuddle Street - they had their own headline show Miranda at Ace Hotel London Shoreditch, closing the month, supported by Martha Hill Music

All in all another great musical month - and despite many days of outdoor music I only got mildly damp on two occasions! Not a typical British summer.

No comments: