Sunday, July 01, 2018

June’s numbers and highlights

The World Cup hasn't slowed my enjoyment of live music in the world's capital of live music, and despite 4 nights out of the city, I'm keeping up my average of more than 1 gig per night on average this year: June's numbers are:

114 unique artists performing 119 sets at 27 different venues on 26 nights/days of June's 30. With 30 gigs in total.

The venue's new to me this month included The Groucho Club and The Ned London - two private members clubs, one with a long history, the other very new, but both doing their bit to support live music.

Most unique gig of the month goes to Rookes at Poplar Union for a workshop on the technique of looping. Demystifying, to some extent, some of the foot tapping on pedals I see going on in front of me at many gigs. Next on my list is learning more about what all those small boxes in front of many guitarist actually do!

My finds of the month - who I'll be seeking out to see/hear perform again, in X factor tradition, in no particular order:

Birdeatsbaby, HAIZ, Jerry Williams, Wax Chattels, Dutch Mustard, Deep Deep Water, Catgod, The Orchid Hunters

A few favourites I'd not managed to see previously this year, included at few big acts and some smaller ones:

Pumarosa, Anna Calvi, Lily Allen, Crewdson with new collaborator Cevanne, Skinny Girl Diet

Thanks also to the many bands, too numerous to name individually that I've seen regularly this year that keep me and my cameras busy of an evening.

No comments: