Friday, July 23, 2010

“The Randoms” - Awards for a musical lucky dip at Somerset House

Having been lucky enough get tickets to 10 out of the 11 gigs in that made up the 2010 Sumer Series in Somerset House, I’d like to award a few prizes:
Loudest – Soul II Soul
This one is easy – they had clearly turned the volume all the way up to 11 – not a big surprised for a collective that  had its origins as a sound system. The windows around the court yard where at significant danger at some points – not to mention my ear drums!
Youngest Audience – N-Dubz
Run away winners – and a good thing too as that meant they where also the shortest audience so I could still get a good view despite giving up my place near the front for a call of nature…
Oldest Audience – Gil Scott Heron
It would be Interesting to see if there was a correlation between the average age on and off the stage – Gil’s audience was definitely the most mature – matching those on stage providing the entertainment.
Early Arrivals – N-Dubz’s Audience
I thought I should get there a little early as it was Sunday and a very “current” headline, it was also a very pleasant walk through the city to get there on a warm Sunday evening – but I didn’t expect the entire audience to be there an hour before the doors where due to open!
Late Arrivals – Not Awarded
Possibly because of the very strict 11pm curfew, none of the acts took there time appearing on stage.
Best Opening act – Joint -
Cathy Davey (Divine Comedy) & Mayer Hawthorne (GIl Scott Heron)
Hard to separate these two – both had me buying there albums via iPad live at the event, should either headline an event themselves, I’ll be looking for tickets.
Strangest Opening act – Ólöf Arnalds (AIR)
I’m not sure what the link is between Icelandic folk and synth based electronica – but it didn't work for me or most of the audience
Biggest Surprise – Divine Comedy (Solo)
I’d not had time to do any research on what to expect from this evening – Neil Hannon’s working of and with the audience was superb entertainment.
Best Gig –
Winner – Florence + The Machine – Runner up – Divine Comedy (Solo) 
This is a close run thing – I had high expectations of Florence Welch and her extensive “machine”, which they still managed to exceeded with the most complete performance of the series. I had no expectations of Neil Hannon – but he delivered a solo performance which I defy anyone not to have been entertained by.
Honourable Mention – The weather

I can’t believe I attended 12 outdoor musical events in a few London summer weeks and there where only a few spots of rain for all of them.


If I’m in London when the 2011 series is run – I’ll definitively be trying to get tickets all the of them again – the musical lucky dip was a wonderful way to spend some glorious summer evening escaping the stress of the office… Somerset House – please offer a season ticket to the event for the musically brave so I don’t have to resort to GetMeIn or the many ticket touts that gather outside the events. And please rebook the weather.

No comments: