Sunday, September 09, 2007

Trains don't terminate - Journeys do!

One of my pet hates - that I have to put up with every evening as I travel home - "this train terminates at the next station" - if it does, that explains the funding problems with public transport. It must be expensive replacing all those terminated trains! It is the journey that terminates - not the train! Maybe I should start a facebook campaign to get the British transport system to change their announcements. Another one that really gets me is when a automated announcements apologies for the lateness of a train and the inconvenience it is causing. When an automated system used the "royal we", it really devalues the sentiment of the message. More appropriate would be the "operators of this service" - the computer generating the message really could not careless! In fact a caring automated announcement system would be rather worrying. I supposed it reflects the way a human on the tannoy was replaced with a computer as a cost saving measure and a lack of thought to how it should change the script being followed!

No comments: