Saturday, November 28, 2009

Surfing at North Shore

From Gidget Pro 2009

Those of you that know me will not be surprised that I was watching not taking part in the surfing – I left that to the professionals!

My last visit to Sunset beach was only for the 10 minutes a guided circular tour of Oahu permitted. The surf was up that day – 30 foot plus and the surf event was unsurprisingly on hold for the day. This time I made my own way to the North Shore via route 52/55 on TheBus. While the surf was smaller than two years ago – it was still high enough to be left to those who really knew what they where doing.

I was lucky to get to the beach after the 2 hour journey just as the quarter finals of the Gidget Pro women’s championship where beginning – I found a spot amongst the relatively small crowd watching to enjoy the sun, sand and spectacular. Judging by the number of cars parked along the road – I could have believe that those their had bought a car each some of them two!

I’ve yet to finish proofing the almost 1000 shots I took on a rather shutter happy afternoon… If you’ve got a 32GB memory card in the camera, it would be a shame not to use it and miss a shot!

Once I get home I’ll pick out some more of the shots from the afternoon – edit a few and upload them. Hard to do that on a laptop – especially now I’ve broken the screen and have a lovely crack running across it and a small circle of dead pixels in the middle – I assume where my toe landed as I tripped over it, having left it on the floor next to my bed in jet lag induced sleepiness/carelessness… 

If the surf is up and the surfing is still on, I may revisit the north shore next week - $4.50 for a round trip is great value for a 4 hour bus journey broken up with the chance to view such a spectacular sport…

No comments: