Saturday, February 14, 2009

Drive into Kruger

My great holiday luck (at least since I got stuck at LA airport waiting for a replacement plane) was with me again - it turned out that for the first three days I was the only person booked with BigSix Safari so Rickson was my personal game guide. I could spend as long as I liked trying to get the perfect pictures without having to be considerate of others - and no competition for the seats nearest the wildlife either - not that either proved a problem when I was join for my last evening/morning by a great group of young US academics...
From Kruger Park 2009
The first game drive into Kruger from the gate to the camp, was relatively uneventful. The wonderful hot weather had driven most of the animals into the unusually long undergrowth - you can't have every thing... There were plenty of impala taking advantage of the fact that all the predators where hiding in the shade not wanting to expend any energy in the sapping heat. I just sat back and enjoyed the wonderful climate, the spectacular landscape and Rickson's narration of the surroundings.
I'm going to confess that none of these posting are "real time" - I have a good excuse for not doing them at the time - a complete lack of Internet access, but it has taken me longer than I'd have liked to get round to annotating a wonderful two weeks for history....

No comments: