Friday, September 26, 2008

Food in Hong Kong

The best meal I had during my visit to Hong Kong, turned out to be a vegetarian Buddhist lunch during a coach tour. It was simple yet every item was tasty - the best of the selection was a bread like morsel. No meat or animal products where permitted, and even root vegetable excluded.

I experienced two full "Chinese" meals - one as part of a coach tour, the second in the "Internationally acclaimed" Yan Toh Heen. The first could have been in a typical Chinese restaurant in the UK - comforting that the Chinese "down the road" is authentic. The restaurant was full of locals - eating similar dishes, so I've no reason to suspect the style was overly influenced by "European" Chinese...

The meal in Yan Toh Heen was intriguing. I chose the chef's "best selection" set menu - 7 courses. Many interesting dishes - and I can now add Shark's Fin and Bird's nest to the list of delicacies I've eaten along side Dolphin in Iceland... The Shark's Fine soup was very tasty - but I have to admit I couldn't discern which taste in the Bird's nest course was the nest!

The last meal I'm going to include wasn't actually in Hong Kong, but at 35,000 feet between Hong Kong and Singapore. The Lobster Thermador I'd order seam to cause a stir amongst the cabin crew - given it was only a 3 hour flight I'd guess few people bother selecting from Singapore Air's extensive menu .... the lobster was very nice!

No comments: